12.11.2009

Day 3-The LOVE (LUV) Shot?



Okay, so....today was rough yet again! I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but it's a self-portrait! And it was this or not have one. Fridays are my busy days so I didn't have a lot of time. I started out with another idea altogether and it wasn't working. Then I got another idea and it didn't work either. Then I put everything away in frustration, sat down to pout, and BAM...this popped into my head. And...130 shots, 1 burnt arm, and 1 extremely hot ear later (lamps were a little too close for comfort!) I got ONE shot that was fully in focus (low lighting plus timer equals difficult focusing situations). Thank God that it just so happened to be the same shot that had the PERFECT lighting! Here's a photography tip I learned while being a poor college student: for cheap portrait lighting at home, take the lamp shades off your lamps and have at it! Just don't get too close to the bulbs...and only use this trick for black and white photos. Your standard at-home lamps tend to turn EVERYTHING a yellowish-orange in color photos. So, what do we think?? Corny or cool?

PS...I was told today that I need an assistant...kinda like the little girl in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I agree! BUT, I said that I was going to do this project totally unassisted, and I'm going to stick to that....for now at least!

PPS...I was reading up on self-portrait tips today and someone wrote (forgive me for biting, mr. man) that one thing you learn from taking self-portraits is how to pose, and then you can tell others how to pose! Yet another perk of this project! I definitely have never been good at telling people how to pose, and now I realize it's because I run away from pictures at all costs, and never really know how to pose myself. I'm learning...and I would say slowly but surely, but this project has THRUST me into the lion's den!

2 comments:

  1. hey sis...keep up the good work...and when you need an assistant for your side hustle...Let me know! LOL

    pictures- Fabuawesometastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...thanks! and first i have to drum up some business, then comes assistants! but you are first on my list, of course.

    ReplyDelete