12.10.2009

Day 1 Self Portrait



Hello internet world! I can honestly say that until very recently I never pictured myself as having a blog. So, here goes! You must forgive me in advance for technical glitches (I am computer un-savvy), made-up words, and over-use of exclamation points. Now, to get to the meat...I LOVE this world. (Or should I say, LUV?) Anyway, I really do. And God gave me the eyes to see beauty in things that many people don't find beautiful at all. What an awesome gift. I was going to say I haven't been using this gift lately, but I have. It's more like, I haven't been SHARING this gift lately. I see beauty in lots of things all the time, but I haven't been using my gift-talent of photography to share it much lately. Lots of people who know me now don't even know that THIS was my major in college! So, I'm on a journey to get back to my roots...and to learn it in a digital form. To start off that journey, for this whole almost month that I am free from graduate school for Christmas break, I have given myself an assignment: take one new, completely unassisted self-portrait per day. It'll be my facebook profile picture each day as well as uploaded on here!

This was my first ever self-portrait using a self-timer (I am lucky enough to have one of those on my camera now!) It was an interesting experience! The light was so pretty when I got off work that I just wanted to get somewhere fast before the sun went down. So boom, I roll up in the Wal-Mart parking lot. I took a few pics in the middle of the parking lot but didn't like the fact that this GIANT light pole kept weaseling its way into my background. So, what did I do? I MADE it the background...and it made my picture! This is what I had to go through to get that shot: To make sure the focus was exactly right, I had to keep one shoe in the frame while I placed the camera on the ground as far in front of me as possible and set the self-timer. I tried to just leave my shoe and walk in a sock, but 10 seconds isn't enough time to put on a shoe AND pose! So, I kept one foot by the lightpole and stretched the other one out as far as I could to put the camera down in front of me (Twister style). I did this about 33 more times (45 minutes in the Wal-Mart parking lot on the WINDIEST day ever) and voila! Self-portrait number 1. Feel free to let me know what you think. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment